Product Development Manager - Nuclear
www.adventisnuclearpersonnel.com is looking for a Product Development Manager to review and analyze overall progress of the product development program.Responsibilities
- The overall program achieves technical, commercial, & financial success.
- Individual projects are aligned with customer needs, are financially attractive in relation to risks, and are managed in accordance to an approved business plan.
- Technology developed is protected by appropriate Intellectual Property management strategies and processes.
- Cost is minimized by taking full advantage of SR&ED tax credits and other government/industry funding mechanisms.
Product Development Program Management & Reporting (20%)
- Review and analyze, with the input of technical leads, overall progress of the product development program, including analysis of costs incurred vs. plan, schedule attainment, and key technical/commercial achievements/failures, prepare monthly management report summarizing findings.
- Recommend “Stage-Gate” reviews at critical milestones to facilitate the monitoring of commercial & technical viability of higher risk projects by senior management.
- Develop and manage documentation related to Product Development Program (i.e. business plans, monthly reports, meeting minutes, etc)
- Monitor program expenses and time entry via Managers Financials tool.
- Contribute to the development of product development business plans, including critical review & analysis of the technical rationale, competition, risks and estimated return on investment of proposed projects.
Intellectual Property Management (20%)
- Lead the identification of all intellectual property of the company by working with key technical leads to assess technology and search prior patents and other publications to determine where technologies are proprietary.
- Collaborate and gain agreement with company technical community on which technologies must be protected to retain the company´s competitive position, and recommend strategy for protection either through patenting or trade secret.
- Ensure appropriate documentation, including invention records, are prepared for key technologies to facilitate patent filing.
- In conjunction with marketing/communications, evaluate and make recommendations with respect to trademarks for key technologies.
- With support of legal counsel, lead the filing of patents and trademarks.
- Review all proposals involving non-standard terms for intellectual property ownership/use to ensure the company´s intended field of use is appropriately protected.
SR&ED Tax Credits / Other Development Funding (60%)
- Lead annual SR&ED claim process for the company, with the support of technical leads and in consultation with external specialists as required.
- Proactively identify SR&ED eligible costs on commercial projects by liaising with project controls and operations teams, including participation in monthly project reviews. With the support of project staff, prepare technical description and cost summary for inclusion in SR&ED claim.
- Prepare estimate of SR&ED tax credit value for inclusion in all product development business plans. Upon approval of product development project, prepare SR&ED scoping document for review by Corporate Tax SR&ED team and ensure project WBS is appropriately setup to capture/isolate SR&ED eligible costs.
- Monitor and implement, where applicable, other government/industry funding programs for technology. Focus on devising and implementing strategy to secure funding for the company.
- Prior training & working experience in Intellectual Property management is preferred. Examples of relevant training experience include: training from Intellectual Property Institute of Canada or equivalent, experience in preparing record of invention or contributing to a patent filing.
- Effective research and analytical skills are necessary to assess the strategic rationale and risks of R&D projects as well as understand project costs, return on investment and potential R&D tax credit value.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (particularly SharePoint, Excel & PowerPoint) is necessary to manage project documentation, and prepare management presentations/reports.
- Project Management experience in product development / engineering services an asset.
- Regularly interacts with Senior Management to provide updates on progress of R&D initiatives and SR&ED claim strategy/process and provide recommendations with respect to new projects and patent approvals.
- Primary point of contact between technical community and Marketing/Business Development department with respect to Product Development activities and the corresponding commercial strategy.
- In conjunction with legal, interacts with the company to clarify/confirm IP rights of the company in accordance to the IPLA.
- In conjunction with account management, meets with clients to gather feedback /input on product development plans.
- Builds relationships with Operations group to ensure opportunities for SR&ED credits from commercial efforts are actively identified and claimed.
- Builds relationships with account management team to ensure constant link between product development and customer needs.
- Works in collaboration with external consultants in devising annual SR&ED claim strategy/timing plan.
Contribution to Business Performance
- Ensures product development activities are aligned with customer demands and that a robust commercial strategy is in place to generate revenue from all product development efforts.
- Ensures that valuable IP is identified and protected.
- Directly impacts financial results by maximizing SR&ED tax credit claims and identifying other sources of technology funding.
- Responsible for budget associated to preparing SR&ED tax credit claims.
- Contributes to management of R&D program through interaction with project managers and preparing consolidated product development management report.
- Effective management of the product development and intellectual property program requires the ability to understand and evaluate complex issues including technical, financial, and commercial aspects.
- SR&ED claim preparation involves extensive strategic planning to maximize size of claim while minimizing risk of disputes arising from Revenue Canada audits.
- Strong interpersonal skills are needed to gather input from various stakeholders (project management, technical, marketing, finance, legal).
- Occasional travel to client sites or corporate offices may be required.
- SR&ED claim schedule is very rigorous and requires discipline to proactively collect costs and project justification throughout the year.
- Heavy workload is anticipated in the period leading up to claim submission.
- An Engineering degree coupled with a minimum of 8 years experience in nuclear engineering and working knowledge of reactor technology is required.
You must quote Job #1920 on all related correspondence.
Full Job List
Adventis Company Website